avocado, Celery, lemon juice, pineapple, red pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds
Celery is an underrated vegetable. We haul it out when we diet and when we have Buffalo wings (who knew buffalo could fly!) or we make soup, but otherwise it tends to languish in the crisper drawer, until you’re pulling out a bag of slime and looking for the garbage can. This has happened to you and you know it. No more, I tell you. Celery is a great vegetable, not to be ignored. It can be a star and salads are a great place to start. We have 2 very different salads—one leans toward Asian flavors and the other is a bit creamy and with hints of citrus and sweetness. Both are crunchy.
Asian-Inspired Celery Salad
- 4 cups sliced celery ribs, leaves left in large pieces and used
- 4 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (use more if you want a sharper flavor)
- 3-4 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Combine the ingredients in a bowl. Toss, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Toss before serving.
NOTE: You may add 1 cup steamed edamame to the celery, if you wish.
Asian-Inspired Celery Salad Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2015. All rights reserved.
Celery, Avocado & Pineapple Salad
- 5 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup diced fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 avocados, skinned and diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced or 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed and finely minced (optional)
- Juice of 1 lemon (or lime)
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 2-3 tablespoons highly flavored olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and broken into pieces (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Crumbled bleu cheese (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
Toss the celery, avocado, pineapple and spring onions together in a bowl.
Combine the lemon juice and honey; stir until combined. Pour over the celery mixture, drizzle with the olive oil and a good big pinch of salt. Fold just to bind the salad together.
Mound the celery mixture in the center of the plate. The salad can sit for up to 30 minutes. Just before serving, garnish with the crispy bacon, toasted walnuts and bleu cheese, if you wish. Drizzle with sriracha, if desired.
Celery, Avocado & Pineapple Salad Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2015. All rights reserved.
These are fast and truly delicious salads. They can be made and served immediately, which makes them particularly helpful for mid-week menus. In the fall, substitute or add a diced apple or pear to either salad. As a child, one of my favorite vegetable dishes my mother made was simply sliced carrots and celery cooked together, drained and then dressed with some heavy cream, salt and pepper. That was it. It’s fast, easy and most importantly, absolutely delicious.
Pingback: Ramen…A Quick, Tasty, Healthy Supper | Goddess Cooks