What do you do when your fridge freezes everything in your crisper drawers? You use those frozen cukes to make a nice, chilled cucumber soup! It’s simple as can be…everything goes in the blender, whirl away and into the fridge for a couple of hours and you have lunch. Or dinner. Life is good!
As they say, “A picture is worth a thousand words!” So here’s the recipe in pictures….make this whether you have frozen cukes or not. It’s delicious, either way!
- 6 Persian cucumbers, diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup whole milk Greek-style plain yogurt (at least 5%)
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4-5 large lemon balm leaves (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste—I used more)
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- Diced or sliced cucumbers
- Olive oil
- Fresh mint
Soup: In a blender combine cucumber, yogurt, lemon zest and juice, fresh herbs, garlic, cumin and salt. Blend until smooth, adding up to 1/4 cup very cold water to achieve a smooth consistency. Pour into a container, cover and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
To Serve: Ladle into bowls and top with toasted walnuts, cucumbers, a drizzle of olive oil, and mint (I use the tiniest leaves possible).
Cool-as-a-Cucumber Soup Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2022. All rights reserved