This little summer salad is crisp, cold and just perfect for a hot summer day. Excellent with pork, but really, it works with almost anything. We had it with Shrimp in Scotch-Cream Sauce with Cilantro and Garlic. It was delicious. The original idea for this came from a little pamphlet put out by Publix Supermarkets here in South Florida. I picked up the pamphlet for the “Marinated Pork and Potatoes” recipe, and there it was, right at the bottom of the page. I don’t think I would have put apple and cucumber together, but really, why not? The texture is fantastic. The flavor is fresh, crisp, sweet-tart and just lovely. It goes together too quickly for words. It’s just simple and delicious.
I put all the ingredients in the bowl, except the arugula. Toss, then dress with some of the vinaigrette. I place the arugula on the plate, then top with the salad, just before serving. The arugula can get wilty (I don’t think that’s a word, but….), so I prefer not to add it to the salad, but rather place the salad on top of a bed of arugula.
Cucumber-Apple Summer Salad
- 1 medium-sized English cucumber or 3 Persian cucumbers, quartered and diced
- 1 medium-sized Fuji apple, diced
- 3 scallions, including some of the green, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons dried mandarin oranges, coarsely chopped (see NOTE)
- 1-2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 2-3 tablespoons prepared poppy-seed or lemon vinaigrette
- 2-3 handfuls arugula
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves, cut into chiffonade (optional)
- Sumac, for garnish, if desired
- Vinaigrette (see NOTE)
In a salad bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the arugula. Add the vinaigrette and toss. Divide the arugula evenly among four plates and top with a portion of the salad. Sprinkle with sumac, if desired.
NOTE: You may find the dried mandarin oranges at a Trader Joe’s®. We like this with a slightly sweet, vinaigrette-type dressing, like a poppy-seed dressing. Marie’s® White Balsamic-Shallot Vinaigrette is darned good, too.
Cucumber-Apple Summer Salad Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2016. All rights reserved.
I have taken to adding diced or crumbled cheese; bleu cheese is nice. But it really is quite delicious just as it is. Don’t you just love when simple and delicious work in the same recipe?