Coffee and chiles, with brown or maple sugar, make a terrific dry rub meat, particularly pork. But, I use this on steak and burgers, but it is surprisingly delicious on both lamb and venison. I haven’t tried in on duck, but I think it would be delicious. A rubbed-filled jar is a great gift for the foodie in your life. Freshly ground coffee, mixed with spices, then rubbed into meat or vegetables…. Who would have thought it? But, it works like a charm. Dumping everything into a plastic bag, makes it much easier to thoroughly mix (this isn’t a picture of this particular rub, but the Smoking Gun Tea Rub). It also is easier to pour into bottles to give to those special people in your life. You will note there is very little salt added to this. I prefer to massage the rub into the meat, and then sprinkle with salt. It’s easier to control the salt level. Do absolutely salt your meat/vegetables, but I prefer to salt meat no more than 15-30 minutes before cooking. I prefer to dry-rub meat and chill overnight for a fuller, more robust flavor. But, add additional salt directly to the mixture, if you wish. This is wonderful on Apple Butter-Glazed Pork Belly (or Pork Butt)…very festive!
Coffee-Brown Sugar Dry Rub
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (granulated brown or maple sugar works best)
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee (espresso grind is great)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion granules
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (toast whole seeds, then grind)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground guajillo chile powder
- Pinch ground celery seed
- Large pinch of MSG (optional)
Combine the dry rub ingredients in a plastic bag; seal the bag with some air in it and shake it up! Pour into a bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Store in a cool, dark place. Will keep for at least 6 months. May be frozen for longer storage. This recipe double and triples easily.
Coffee-Brown Sugar Dry Rub Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2019. All rights reserved.