A fresh fruit salsa is delicious and a lovely way to use perfect, in-season fruit. This recipe is a good basic starting point, but jump off the flavor cart and come up with your own combinations. Today, I’m using a combination of nectarine and pineapple. I’m serving this with a pork roast, which will have some of the flavors of the Caribbean.
This is just too simple not to make all the time. You decide what fruit you want to use, then use a compatible fruit preserve. You just put everything together in a bowl and give it all a good stir. That’s it. Cover it and chill the mixture for a couple of hours. I decided to add a little chopped fresh cilantro or basil, but that’s not entirely necessary.
Quick Fresh Fruit Salsa
- 1 cup finely diced fresh fruit (see NOTE)
- 2 tablespoons preserves or jelly, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon or lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion or scallions
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-3 teaspoons very finely chopped fresh herbs (optional—see NOTE)
Drop all the ingredients into a medium bowl. Stir until nicely combined. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
NOTE: Fruits such as peaches, nectarines, pineapple, mango, strawberries, plums all work well…I may have missed a few. Choose a complimentary preserve. Keep in mind that the apple jelly will not add much flavor, but use more for sweetness. You can also add diced tomatoes as part of the fruit, if that works for the flavor profile you’re working with. For example, Tomato-Peach Salsa is wonderful with tuna steaks or turkey burgers.
These combinations work well together:
- Pineapple – Apricot preserves
- Peaches/Nectarines – Peach preserves
- Mango – Orange marmalade or Apricot preserves
- Plums – Plum or apricot preserves
- Strawberries – Strawberries or Guava preserves
- Raspberries – Peach preserves or currant jelly
These combinations work well, but they are by no means the only option.
Quick Fresh Fruit Salsa Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2017. All rights reserved.
Now, isn’t that easy, delicious and just gorgeous? Yes. Yes, it is!