Think of this cole slaw as a “monsoon” of tropical flavors…pineapple, mango, orange…need I say more? Okay, maybe I do, but you’re going to want to slap this on some fish tacos or anything seafood-y. Or just have it for breakfast. Seriously. The Goddess ate leftover slaw this morning for breakfast. Okay, it was about 4:30 a.m. and she may have thought she was reaching for yogurt, but she missed and her hand came down on the slaw instead. She doesn’t normally leap from her slumber at that time of day, but The Spicy Honey was catching an early flight, so she felt compelled to fix him breakfast. After all, he was working and she can always go back to her feather bed in the clouds. So, she kissed him good-bye and sent him on his way, fixed herself a wonderful, frothy, delicious cup of “morning elixir”, that’s coffee to normal people, and had the slaw instead. Why not? It has fruit, roughage and well, it just tastes great. So elixir and slaw it is!
This is a “throw everything into a bowl” sort of salad. Really? A bowl…why did I say that? Of course you are going to throw everything into a bowl. It’s a salad!! Of course, if I hadn’t said “bowl”, you were just going to throw it in the middle of the table and hand everyone a fork, weren’t you? Honestly. This Goddess probably needs some more sleep. We’re going with that, okay?
- 3/4 cup diced mango (frozen works, but fresh is better in this instance)
- 1/2 cup finely diced fresh pineapple (frozen works well, too)
- 1/3 cup finely diced English cucumber, unpeeled
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion or 3 scallions, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro (to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (lower fat Hellman’s works well, too)
- 1-2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3-4 teaspoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar or honey (optional)
- zest of 1/2 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 4-5 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 a bag of the pre-shredded stuff)
- Chopped roasted cashews for garnish (optional)
- Toasted coconut for garnish (optional)
Mix the fruits, onion, cucumber and cilantro together; season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the mayo, orange juice concentrate, lime zest and juice. Stir well; toss in the cabbage and stir until everything is well coated and mixed together. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving. When ready to serve, stir again, and serve topped with the chopped cashews and/or toasted coconut, if desired.
Tropical Slaw Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2017. All rights reserved.
I’ve given you more or less, the quantities I used. Use more of one fruit, change the fruits to what is in season or what you have on hand. I happen to love mango, pineapple, orange, lime and cucumber together. It’s a thing for me. Sometimes my mother added sliced bananas to slaw. Next time, I’m going to add avocado, but I knew there would leftovers and avocado, unlike The Goddess, doesn’t age well! It is really early and she’s totally delusional. She’s going back to bed now…however, just ignore her ramblings and make this. You’ll love its bright, refreshing “monsoon” of flavor. It’s delicious now, but it positively brings rays of sparkling sunshine in the depths of winter.