Fattoush has always been a favorite of mine. It’s a lovely way to use seasonal vegetables and leftover pita. The addition of corn makes this version is a bit unusual, but equally delicious. Fattoush comes our way from Northern Lebanese farmers, using their leftover pita scraps, which they’d fry up and toss into whatever in-season vegetables and herbs. I don’t fry the pita, but I toast it, then cut it into squares. I prefer this because it then soaks up some of the good juices that ooze from the veggies. Usually they dress it with a bit of olive oil for extra flavor, which is what I usually do. However, today I decided to use a creamy dressing, because The Latin Lover favors it…and why not? I’ll give you the amounts (more or less!) that I used. Feel free adjust as you wish.
Fattoush with Corn, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Herbs in a Creamy Garlic Dressing
- 3 ears corn, steamed and cooled (leftover steamed corn-on-the-cob is fine)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced (include some of the green part)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Persian cucumber, quartered lengthwise and diced
- 1 handful of black olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1-2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pita medium bread, toasted until crisp and cut into squares
- Sumac for garnish
In a large bowl, cut the kernels from the cobs of the cooked and cooled corn. You’ll have about 3 cups, more or less. Add the remaining ingredients, except the sumac. Stir until thoroughly combined. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Add the toasted pita bread; stir to thoroughly combine. Pour into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with sumac, if desired. Serve.
NOTE: If you wish to omit the mayonnaise, pour 2-3 tablespoons good quality olive oil over, squeeze on the juice of 1/2 lemon; toss and continue with the recipe. For a different flavor profile, omit the basil and use 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and use lime juice, instead of the vinegar and dress with Lime-Smoked Paprika Vinaigrette.
Fattoush with Corn, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Herbs in a Creamy Garlic Dressing Recipe©Marcia Lahens 2021. All rights reserved.